Darren, the main character in The Traitor King is dreaming of drifting away during class "as if his body was a shell he could climb out of."As the author continues, "The other day, he'd dreamed of a shadowy skeleton who'd grabbed him and drained the life out of him until he disappeared. It had seemed so terrifyingly real. "Darren's been erased," his mom had said in his dream (p.2)."
1- What has the author done to hook us, the readers, so quickly? Be specific!
2- What were you thinking and wondering about as we read these first few pages of our read aloud?
3-How are other people describing Todd Mitchell's new book? Read and then rap (blog style) about one person's opinion.
Click on his webpage link to find out the scoop!
http://www.toddmitchellbooks.com/books.html

18 comments:
I think the author hooks us so quickly by good,jucie words. Like shadowy,drained,disappeared,and erased. I am wondering what the rest of the storyis going to be about.
Your book is awesome so far. Are you going to write a second book? If you are then our class is probably going to read your second book if your going to make a second book. Can you write our class back?
1. The author hooked me by saying, he'd "dreamed of a shadowy skeleton who'd grabbed him and drained the life out of him until he disappeared."
2. I'm wondering whats going to happen to darren? Is darren going to be a ghost and scare other
people?
3. "Funny, sly, surprising, and wise ... The Traitor King is all of this and more!" I like what this person said because it has detail and it sounds like a poem.
1. I think the author hooked us by using good, jucie, speific words such as shadowy, drained, disappeared, terrifyingly, and erased.
2. I was wondering and thinking about what if the shadowy skeleton could come to life?Will this book teach me how to be a good dreamer?
3. "[The Traitor King]blew me away.The dialogue is rich and clean,and Darrens perspective as a 12-year-old was perfectuly captured...unpredictable, imangetetive, and astonishing.I was riveted..."
So far I think the author has been doing a wonderful job telling about Darren's imaginanation.The author has sort of taught me how to dream.
1.The author hooked me by the words he used like terrifyingly, disappeared, skeleton, drifting, Traitor King.
2.I was wondering what does the word terrifyingly mean and I was thinking how did the author find all those terific words in the sententce.
3. "Humor, menace and mystery suffuse this fast paced tale...new surprise and plot twist keep readers enthralled." I think that it is fabulosfrom the word enthralled exalent work.
1.I think the reader gets hooked by those juicy words that Todd Mitchell uses like " that shadowy skull looked like uncle Will.
2.What I was wondering about during thw traitor king is how did the book get its name? Also how did you come up with those details?
3. Lauren and I agree with each other when we said that the "mananans should live long." Darren is like me I can fit in small places and I can stuff my head in a suitecase when I go on a road trip.
Your book is awesome so far!
Maybe you can write another book?
If you did make a second book then I am sure of it my teacher will buy it.
So when are you going to come to our school?
I hope you come very soon, all of us hope you come very soon.
I hope you write us back again!
Bye-bye!
Love,
Haley from
Mrs.Garcia`s
forth grade
class
1. What the author did to hook me is he used 100 dollar words .Like disappeared and shadowy. What he also did was he used grate sentences like "as if his body was a shell he could climb out of “that’s how he hooked me by those 2 things.
2. I wondering and thinking about the story is that the author is righting a grate story but in the sentens"as if his body was a shell he could climb out of" hoo is the he in the sentensc?
3. I agree with Austin in 4th grade because I love to read and write to.I think that Austin will be a writer win he grows up.
#1 The author hooked us so quickly by using great juicy words like "Terrifyingly" and the word "Shadowy."
#2 What I was wondering about the first few pages was: "I wonder if the skeloton was his Uncle," and "I wonder if anyone else will see the shadowy skeloton."
#3 One person thinks that the dialogue is rich and clean and I think so too because it has describing words like "shadowy" and "Terrifyingly."
1. The auther has hooked me by his excellent words.'' How the Darren said (it looks like a skelton.)
2. I was wondering if Darren was in the car or was he in school? Does the aurther have any brothers and sisters.
3. The Traiter King is a finellist for the colorado book award.
4. I think it should get an award becualse it has excellent discription and good words. I also think they should get an award becualse the aurther has good people in it. Also the aurther should give people the traiter king caulse it is a awEsome book and he shuold go to Africa to help the por people read and give the por people something to do since all they do is try to read. so do you? we'll if you do than type me back. Please!!!. what ever you do PLEASE!!! P.S i love your book so far
1.The author hooked us by giveing juicy and meaty words in the story!The author Todd Mitchell hooked us by telling good and specific details.Todd Mitchell wrote a seed idea and not a watermellon idea so that gets us hooked on the book!
2. I was thinking and wondering if the skinny man was Darren's uncle but won't say it.That's what I was thinking and wondering!
3.A deliciously magical book.It has all the stuff I'v always looked for in a book.I think other people think the book is magical and it's amazing that they love it!
1. I think that the author hooks us so quickly by saying "A shadowy skeleton who'd grabbed Darren and drained the life out of him."Witch I think is a good part to discribe how the character looks.
2. I'm thinking and wondering about how Darren's uncle looks like. I'm also thinking and wondering about how Darren is not moving at all.
3. One person said "You must read this book and if you are like me you'll desperatly ask Tood Mitchell for a sequel" I agree too, with this person because I love writing!!!
cameron said...
1.I think you hooked me rite away by saying the main character in the Traiter king is dreming of drifting awat during class and you want to know more.
2. I was thinking you are a cowboy because Darren likes to hunt so it sounds like his name is Cowboy.
3. Lora said this was a "delishisly magic book and I agree with Lora. It hooks the reader and you want to know more about the story because you are interested in the book. You want to know everything and zoom into the book.
Dear students in Ms. Garcia's 4th Grade Class,
First of all, I want to thank you for reading my book, and for writing about it so insightfully on this blog. I love reading your thoughts on the book, and finding out what you liked. I'm glad that you enjoy the "juicy words" like "shadowy," and "disappeared" —I always think it's interesting when things disappear.
If you're wondering how the book got its name, you'll just have to keep reading. The same goes for those you who are wondering who the "shadowy skeleton" might be, and what happens to Darren. Hopefully, the rest of the book will keep you interested, and you might even find some more juicy 100 dollar words.
As you read, please try to remember any questions you want to ask me when I come visit. Also, I'll be happy to tell you about my plans for a second book then.
To answer some of your other questions: I do have a sister (but she's very different from Jackie, and I'm pretty different from Darren, although I do day dream a lot).
I really want to travel to Africa, and help out those in need. If you go to my website, you can find a link to a site (under "Do Something Good") where you can click on a button, and feed someone who wouldn't have food (it's completely free, too!).
Your comments are so good, I hope that once you've finished the book, some of you might consider reviewing it on sites like Amazon.com. In fact, if there are any books you like, you can go to Amazon and tell people about them in a short review (and, if you're under 13, you don't have to buy anything to review a book).
Okay, that's all I have time for right now, but I look forward to meeting you, and answering more of your questions when I visit your school in a few weeks.
Until then, enjoy the adventure!
P.S.: I hope you have a great, and spooky, Halloween!
Your friend,
Todd Mitchell
Dear Mr.Mitchell,
Your book (The Traitor King) is awesome! We got your letter. I like the way you said in your letter that you will be looking out for those 100 dollar words! Oh, and I also like how Uncle Will left a letter that said... well I forgot what it said but the first letter in every word spelt "Look Up" I thought that was really cool! Oh, and when are you going to be to our school? Well, I hope you will be here soon!
Sincearly,
Haley
p.s. I will have a spooky Halloween!
p.s.s. I`m going to be a Gothic Dead Bride!
I got your letter. We found out that the hunt is looking for Uncle Will. I have a couple of questions to ask you: how did writing inspire you? when did you complete the book The Traitor King? I love how you used those juicey words. Are you going to make anoher book about the traitor king? I hope you do because I like the book so far. I am good at writing fiction stories. You hook us in the book because you use those 100 dollar words. I like the phrase suck the life out of Darren. I discribed the book the traitor king as a big hit. I bet that millions of copies of the book are already sold.
Your friend,
Elijah
p.s The book is really good so far.
Dear Mr.Mitchell,
How is the writing coming along? I'm writing a fiction story based on Kung Fu Panda. My story name is kung fu princess. I have a question for you: How many books have you writen?
I think Azul observes day of the dead because the day of the dead celabrated betwen Oct.31 and Nov.2 is a selibrated wich in mexicins.
Post a Comment