06 May, 2010

What do you know?

What do you know about...

the original 13 colonies?

17 comments:

Ms. Garcia said...

Let us know what you learned about at least two of the colonies from our Colonial Research Project.

Remember to we need those juicy details to understand what you mean!

Harmony said...

Hello Ms.Garcia,
KEY= *=Fact
*One thing I learned from North Carolina is North Carolina's Cash Crop was Tobacco.
*Another fact I learned from South Carolina is that after King Charles II changed the name Carolana to Carolina he gave the Land to eight family friends.
*Another fact I learned from New Jersey is children couldn't talk at the table. They couldn't even tell their mother that the food she cooked from was Awesome!
*Another fact I learned from New Jersey is the children had to eat dinner fast so they could start doing their chores, like getting on their hands and knees and scrubbing the floor.
*The last fact I learned from Massachusetts is that children had to learn Christianity.
Love,
Harmony :)
Remember to always smile! Smiling is a good thing to keep you happy, along with laughing and having a good time! You Rock class, and my fantabulous teacher Ms.Garcia!

nosidaM said...

My colony was Pennsylvania and I may have forgoten to ad this but king Carles the second gave Wiliam Penn the land now known as Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania means Penn's Wood). Then I found out that in a lot of colonies children and adults drank beer. Nice presentations!

Megan Doyle said...

Hi Ms. Garcia,
From Syd's colony Rhode Island, I learned that their houses were called Wigwams.
From my colony Delaware, I learned that Dutch settlers made a stew called Muddle.
From Janel's colony Connecticut, Ilearned that they lived in Dugouts.
From Chessa's colony Massachusetts I learned that childeren had to study Christanity.
From Emma's colony Maryland, I learned that wealthy colonists would pay for unwealthy colonists to get on the boat and they would become the wealthy colonist slave.
From Harmony's colony I learned that tobacco was a cash crop.
In conclusion that is some of what I learned from some colonys.

Sydney said...

Hi Ms. Garcia,
It's Syd.
One thing I learned from Rhode Island (my colony) is that Rhode Island's government was pure democracy.
Another thing I learned from Connecticut (Janel's and Jamie's colony)is that the children had to go to school and they had to learn reading, writing, simple math, prayers and the bible all in one day.
Another fact I learned from New Jersey (Sandi's and Stephaney's colony) is that when the parents made YUMMY food the childern would not be able to talk unless they were spoken to.
Another fact is that in Maryland (Desneiges' and Emma' colony) when people wanted to come over to new land the wealthy people would pay for the poor people to come with and then the people who had other people pay for them would become their slaves.
The last fact I learned is from South Carolina (Harmony's and Erika's colony) that when the king changed their name they gave the land to eight family friends.


Sincerely,
Sydney ;) Have a good summer!!

Chessa said...

The two colonies I will be sharing fact with would be Massachusetts(The red colony(also one of the largest colonies)) and South Carolina(The orange colony).


Facts about Massachusetts:
1. The people of Massachusetts believed in Christianity.
2. The people of Massachusetts ate Indian corn, roast duck, goose, clams, and Turkey. They would also eat crab, whale, and other sea animals.

Facts about South Carolina:
1. Their cash crop was Tobacco.
2.Their clothes were made out of buckskin and cotton.

Those are some facts about Massachusetts and Sout Carolina.

By the way Massachusetts was my colony!!

seang said...

I learned that colonial rhode island had houses that looked like domes. I also learned that people called red coats scared colonist into paying taxes.

tylerbopp said...

050599What I learned from 2 colonies was that
1.)Beer was a main drink for chilren and coliniest. (Massa.)

2.)John Smith descoverd 2 stats or new lands and maped one.(Verginia)
Tyler Bopp =)

angelmommasbaby said...

angeline-
one thing i learned about new hampshire from adrein is that the people ate pumpikins, beans, and corn.
lastly i learned that janels colony south carolina is that drank peach and apple cider for breakfast lunch and dinner.

dez-
one thing i learned from harmony south carolina is that the people ate corn,cotton , hay, soybeans , and peanuts.
lastly , new hampshire's war with the french and english lasted 74 years.

Fab.Jamie:) said...

THe first fact I found Very interestring was about my colony Connecticut:that the colonist live very far away from each other.
The next thing I learnd was in Erika's presentation: South Carolina was that in the 1600s the folks made ink with walnuts, which they grounded. After they did that they boild them.The last thing they did was brewed the walnuts with vinager and salt.

Janel said...

Hey Mrs.Garcia this si Janel.

colony=South Carolina/Erika 2 facts

* In the early 1500s, peouple started to come from Europe to live in America.
*In the early 1700s they discovered that the rice grew well in the swaps land and also in digo could be planted behind the rice paddies.

Connecticut=Janel 1 fact

*children had to learn reading,writing,simple math,poems,prayers all in one day.
colony=Pennsylvania/maddie
*The colonists would sell and grow corn for profit.
*Pennsylvania was ruled by New Sweden along with Delaware and New Jersey.

That is what I learned about my colony,erika,and maddies.

Love,
Janel

akire said...

Hello this is Erika
i am doing 2 facts on the colony of connectut witch was janel and jamie's colony! some facts that i lirned was:
*in the colony of connecticut they had alot of factories and made metal butons and thst led to the metal brass industry.
*also the children had to lirn reading,writeing,simple math,poems, and prayers all in one day!!!
i am also doing another 2 fatcs on the colony of pennsylviania witch was madison and julian's colony! some fatcs are:
*the colony of pennsylvania had interaction with the colony of deleware indains and susquehannock.
*another thing is that the algonkian and iroquoian indians lived on pennsylvania lands before the colonist arived on the land and claimed the land as pensylvaina.
thoes are the 2 colonies that i lirnd from!!!!

from: erika !)

Emma :] said...

Hello Mrs. Garcia and fellow readers,
Hint: After each fact I put there name that’s for who’s colony it was and who I got it from.

My colony is Maryland I’m going to tell a little about Maryland and then a few other facts out a few other colonies too.

#1 Maryland’s cash crop is tobacco this cash crop allowed Maryland to grow bigger and bigger. Emma

#2 Some of Maryland’s farmers let pigs roam free all over the farm!!! Those were some lucky animals for most of there life. :] Des

#3 In the colony Delaware they ate vegetable and meat pie that is where now we get chicken pop pies. Megan

#4 In Delaware people the Red Coats scared colonist in to paying taxes. Megan and Natalie

#5 King Charles II changed the name Carolana to Carolina. Unknown

Emma:] said...

Hello Mrs. Garcia and fellow readers,
Hint: After each fact I put there name that’s for who’s colony it was and who I got it from.

My colony is Maryland I’m going to tell a little about Maryland and then a few other facts out a few other colonies too.

#1 Maryland’s cash crop is tobacco this cash crop allowed Maryland to grow bigger and bigger. Emma

#2 Some of Maryland’s farmers let pigs roam free all over the farm!!! Those were some lucky animals for most of there life. :] Des

#3 In the colony Delaware they ate vegetable and meat pie that is where now we get chicken pop pies. Megan

#4 In Delaware people the Red Coats scared colonist in to paying taxes. Megan and Natalie

#5 King Charles II changed the name Carolana to Carolina. Unknown


Love,
Emma

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!:]

nailuj onallera said...

I learned from Pnnsylvania that they had a cash crop.They eat corn.People from New sweden and England came to farm and trade with local indian's

sandijohnson said...

Sandi
*One thing I learned was that New Jersey cash corp was corn
*Anoher thing I had learned was that North Carolina cash corp WAS Tobacco

YOUNG FOREVER NATALIE said...

The two facts I learned about Delaware.
*One thing I learned about Delaware is that Tabacco is their cash crop.
The other colony I am going to give facts about is Virginia.
*Virginia was the First colony.
* Also John Smith found two colonies and mapped one of them.Those are just some facts of many great facts!